Ribbon Cutting Ceremony Tool-Kit
The Greater Sayville Chamber of Commerce is pleased to support and publicize our member’s ribbon cuttings, in the event that a company has recently opened, moved to a new location or expanded its current location.
We are also happy to help promote any open houses or receptions our members have for clients, vendors, customers, etc. For new members to take advantage of this service,payment of dues must be made before planning a ribbon cutting or publicizing an event.
The Chamber’s role in ribbon cuttings consists of:
- Sending out invitations to our membership
- Posting details of the event on our website
- Providing scissors
Criteria for Chamber involvement in such events are:
- A ribbon cutting must take place within two months of the opening, moving or expansion of your business.
- We would like to ensure our staff and Ambassadors are available for an event, so we recommend holding your ribbon cutting on Tuesdays and Thursday between 11 am and 2pm. The Chamber tries not to schedule more than two events per day and no more than four events per week. It is also recommended that you choose several possible dates for an event, in order to work around events that the Chamber may already have scheduled.
- In order to ensure that the Chamber can successfully market each event, we recommend the event be scheduled by the 15th of the month prior to the ribbon-cutting month to include details about the event in our communications with membership and our web calendar.
If you’d like to purchase decorations or supplies for your event, please check out the following websites:
Tips for a Successful Ribbon Cutting
The More the Merrier…
While the Chamber invites Chamber Ambassadors and staff, we encourage businesses to invite clients, vendors, neighboring businesses, family and friends to ribbon cuttings. This is not only to have a large gathering for the ribbon cutting photos; it enables the business to showcase its assets to many.
Celebrate and Decorate…
Celebrate this great event by having festive décor—balloons and company signage not only draws attention to your business, it brings a celebratory spirit to the ceremony and makes it easier on attendees to locate your business.
Chips, Dip and Everything in Between…
Since ribbon cuttings traditionally take place during the lunch hours of 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., we encourage member businesses to have refreshments, snacks, cake, etc., for attending guests. This also adds to the flair of the event!
Give guests a brief tour of your company and explain its function. You may never know what this can do for making business contacts in the future.
Grand Opening/Ribbon Cutting Reminders
- Weekday events are easier to draw attendance.
- Contact the media to get publicity and coverage of the event and business. (Media contacts list enclosed.) It is often difficult to attract the media to ribbon cuttings; therefore, it is beneficial to also send out a press release to the enclosed contacts.
- Send out mailed invitations at least two to three weeks in advance and follow up with an email reminder the week of the event.
- Contact the Greater Sayville Chamber at 631-567-5257 at least two to three weeks in advance of the event to arrange for a speaker or to discuss any questions or concerns regarding the event.
- We recommend that you reach out to elected officials to invite them to your event. (Names and websites are enclosed.)
- Welcome Guests – Company Representative
- Dignitary Recognition (in this order) – Company Representative
- Federal Elected Officials
- State Elected Officials
- Local Elected Officials
- Chamber Representatives
- Company President/Manager
- Speaker Introduction(s) – Company Representative
- Brief Congratulatory Remarks from speaker(s) – Usually a dignitary and/or Chamber Representative
- Description of Business and Introduction of Attending Staff – Company Representative
- Cut Ribbon – Done by company, government and Chamber Representative – Photo Opportunity
- Closing Remarks – Company Representative
- Offer attendees a tour of the facility (optional) and/or refreshments (optional)
Local Media Contacts
- Newsday: 631-843-2700 firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
- Long Island Now (Newsday blog) Carl.firstname.lastname@example.org
- All Island Media (Pennysaver, Town Crier, Long Island Trends) 631-750-2157
- Suffolk County News (Islip Bulletin, Long Island Advance) email@example.com
- News 12 Long Island 516-393-1200 firstname.lastname@example.org
- To request news coverage of a planned event: Assignment Desk: 516-393-1390, select 2, What’s Going On (Community event calendar):
- Click here to post an event. Also email to: news12li@News12.com (Attn: What’s Going on) to request news coverage of the event.
- Long Island.com: email@example.com
- Long Island Press-Tim Bolger: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sayville.com-Alina Rossi: email@example.com
- Long Island Mamas-Kim Grabino: firstname.lastname@example.org
- LI Parent-Dawn Roode: email@example.com
- Sayville Macaroni Kid.com-Michelle Vitale firstname.lastname@example.org, 631-268-6066
- LI Pulse Magazine-Casey: email@example.com
MEDIA ALERT TEMPLATE
Customize this template with information about your event and then send to the local media; list of local contacts included below
Media Advisory – Photo Opportunity
Ribbon Cutting Ceremony to Celebrate Grand Opening of [Insert Name of Business]
What:[Insert name of local official] and the Greater Sayville of Commerce will celebrate the grand opening of [Insert Name of Business] with a formal ribbon cutting on [Insert date]. [include a brief description of your business]
Media and guests will be able to take private tours after the ceremony.
Please note this is a by-invitation only ceremony which the media are invited to attend.
Who:[Insert name of Local Officials and Chamber representatives] [Insert name of business owner]
When:[Insert Day of Week and Date] [Insert Time]
Please note that on-site parking is limited; make transportation and parking arrangements accordingly.
Contact:[Insert business owner name, phone and email]
Local Official Invitation List
New York State
Thomas D. Croci
New York State Senator
Suffolk County Officials
Town of Islip Elected Officials
Angie M. Carpenter
Steven J. Flotteron
John C. Cochrane, Jr.
Anthony Senft, Jr.
Receiver of Taxes
Ribbon Cutting Ceremony Confirmation
The Greater Sayville Chamber of Commerce is pleased to support and publicize our member’s ribbon cuttings, in the event that a company has recently opened, moved to a new location or expanded its current location. We are also happy to help promote any open houses or receptions our members have for clients, vendors, customers, etc.
For new members to take advantage of this service, payment of dues must be made before planning a ribbon cutting or publicizing an event.